I ran across a great article about the abusive tendencies of the Discipleship Program. What we once considered a mentor turned eerily wrong, and those discipleship program directors and mentors turned into manipulators.
Think about these questions, as you read:
- Have you been in a discipleship relationship where you had to agree with the discipler in order to make a decision?
- Were you asked to approve your decisions (small or large) through your mentor or discipler before making them?
- Were you ever given the impression it was sinful or wrong to disagree with the person who was discipling you?
- Have you ever known a Christian who gave you the impression that they heard from God more clearly and frequently than YOU did, simply by their “devotion,” amount of prayer time and Bible study?
- Have you ever ended a discipleship relationship with someone with the above traits, only to feel that you’ve backslidden in your relationship with God?
If you answered YES to any or all of these questions, you’ve been trapped in an abusive discipleship relationship.
The entire article can be read here.